Salary range £16,000 – £30,000 (depending on experience, potentially more if you start a company)
Tree surgeons carry out all kinds of tree work including planting, felling, care and maintenance, and hazard assessments.
There are no set requirements but many tree surgeons gain experience in a closely related job like ground worker. Ground workers support tree surgeons and learn how to use chainsaws, ropes, ladders and harnesses.
Experience is highly valued. You can approach conservation organisations, horticulture groups, the National Trust or the Woodland Trust to find voluntary work.
- the ability to use ropes, harnesses and equipment
- the ability to understand plans and maps
Your day-to-day duties may include:
- assessing hazards posed by trees
- assessing tree health and treatment
- pruning or removing branches
- planting and felling trees